Tuesday 16 November 2010

Of a dumb customer..

Just a random but rather moving event for me..

Was working one day in Shuji Sushi during the crazy daily lunch hour. An Indian guy came in the shop and he was standing a distance from the counter for quite some time. After a while, he stepped up to the counter and I acknowledge him like how I do with the other customers. "Hi, how are you?". He just kept quiet and signaled me to get him writing materials. I was puzzled. So I just did as he said, not knowing, he was dumb.

He took the pen and started writing on the pieces of paper I got him over the counter. The first one says:

Because we dont have our own toilet in the shop, I had to direct him to the toilet available across the street at the city library. So he went out of the shop and crossed the street to the other side, either my instructions werent that clear or his understanding of English wasnt that good, he went on walking along the street and passed the library. So I thought that was the end of it.

Moments later, he came back and I was relieved. He walked over to the Baine Marie counter and wrote again on the piece of paper I gave him earlier. He writes:

Pointing at the Okonomiyaki aka Japanese Pancake.

I said Japanese Pancake and he didnt seem to understand me, but he nodded anyways. Then he asked:

"No pork?"

Then I nodded. At this time, my colleagues were all confused thinking what was I doing passing notes with the Indian man.

He then walked over to the sushi rolls counter and pointed at the Cooked Tuna rolls indicating he wants two of it.

Finally, he asked how much it all cost by showing me the money sign with his hands. To make it easy and prevent any misunderstanding, I just wrote it down:


So that was my encounter with a dumb person..

No comments: